For me, E.C. Segar’s Popeye remains, no matter what Noah says, not only one of the great comics of the 20th century but a great piece of Americana as well. It manages to combine hilarious slapstick, daffy absurdity, high adventure, sentimental melodrama and still create genuine emotion and care for the cast’s well-being. It deserves […]
Archive for: Chris Mautner
- 10 More Most Underrated Albums Ever
- Minutes for the Last Supper
- Utilitarian Review 4/19/14
- Cosplayers for Congress
- The Zombie Apocalypse and the Dangers of Empathy
- Noah Berlatsky: Oh…and Tusk isn’t critically disdained. Maybe at one point, but...
- Noah Berlatsky: Nah, that aside meant, not that my editor’s wouldn’t use them, but...
- London Crockett: After your Salon piece included an aside saying, essentially, “this...
- Noah Berlatsky: Also, the article says that scientists are working to see if they can deflect...
- Noah Berlatsky: Not sure that that makes the case you want it to make, Russ. If asteroids hit the...
- Most Underrated/Overrated SF
- Which Margaret Sanger?
- How Not To Make a Graphic Novel
- True Detective Reeks of Twin Peaks
- How the Walking Dead Became the Realest Show on Television